As a 22-year-old college student, I know so many people who spend all of their weekends binge drinking. You think this is super fun when you are doing it, but since I stopped drinking six months ago, I’ve found that there are actually quite a few great things about not drinking:
1. You don’t have to worry about hangovers. I can’t tell you how amazing it is to never wake up with a pounding headache and feelings of dehydration. Without drinking, I feel pretty good most mornings. This was definitely not the case after a night of heavy drinking. And I have to say it’s pretty fun to be the only chipper one when all of your friends are hungover.
2. You never have to worry about how you’re going to get home. I used to hate having to plan out how I was going to get wherever I was going, how I was going to get home, and how I was going to get my car the next day. No more Uber rides. It’s so nice. It’s also nice that occasionally I can be the designated driver for my friends who still drink.
3. You always have more money. I didn’t realize how much money I spent on drinks until I stopped drinking. It’s really easy to rack up an expensive tab at a bar, especially because the more you drink, the less you care about how expensive it is. I have definitely woken up and checked my bank account to find I spent $70 or $80 at the bar before. And when you are a broke college student like me, that really hurts.
4. You are less likely to do crazy things you’d never do sober. I know a friend who cheated on his girlfriend because he got drunk. I know some girls who got arrested for trying to break into a closed store when they were drunk. Drinking makes you feel like anything is a great idea when it reality, it really isn’t.
5. You don’t have to worry about having a beer belly. I’ve lost my gut since I quit drinking. There are so many calories in drinks. Alcohol is mainly sugar. It’s so much healthier for your body to not drink.